If you did not reserve a room at the JW Marriot before the end of the year, fear not. We have extended hotel registration until January 8th so you can still stay in the lap of luxury at the government rate ($140/night). Hurry because after January 8th the government rate disappears forever! Call 1-800-228-9290 and mention the Sex::Tech Conference.
Welcome To The Sex::Tech Blog
* Dinosaurs don't wait until adulthood to have sex. Really? Early sexual maturity started for reptiles that long ago. Whoa. It's not just us humans. National Geographic July 20, 2007
* University researchers found the top 3 reasons college students want to have sex: 1) To experience physical pleasure, 2) Because they're attracted to their lover; and 3) It feels good. CNN August 2, 2007
* Incidence of throat cancers stagnant, even rising in some populations, while all other head and cancer rates are going down. Researchers suspect it's people are smoking less and having more oral sex. HPV, the virus that causes genital warts, can also cause cancer. WebMD August 27, 2007
* The following false information has been provided to U.S. youth as part of our abstinence-only, federally funded curricula (as per a report by Rep. Henry A. Waxman (D-Calif.): 1) HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, can be spread via sweat and tears. 2) Condoms fail to prevent HIV transmission as often as 31 percent of the time in heterosexual intercourse. 3) 10% of women who have abortions become sterile. Washington Post, December 2, 2007
* 14 states turned down abstinence-only federal funding this year (up from 4 in 2006) Washington Post, December 15, 2007
To keep you on your toes before Sex::Tech, here's a round up of links to keep you thinking!
16-year-old "Zoe 101" star Jaime Lyn Spears is pregnant and going to have her baby in the deep South. Did she tell her mother first, the dad, or the tabloids?
JUNO: The new feel-good movie about... a pregnant teenager who decides to go through with the pregnancy, give up the baby for adoption, and keep dating the dad who loves orange tic tacs. Wow! Even her parents were totally cool. Fox Searchlight, December release
MidWest Teen Sex Show: More than 50,000 people subscribe to the new podcast with straight talk about sex for young people. Go Nikol and team (they'll be at our Sex::Tech Conference on January 22, 2008). Wall Street Journal, Nov. 8, 2007
Hip-hop lyrics that celebrate sex have no effect on teen's sexual behavior, researchers from Columbia U. Mailman School of Public Health reported. Carla Stokes (also at our Sex::Tech Conference) decides that's a good thing - and promotes the positive. Tara Parker-Pope, New York Times, Nov. 6, 2007
GREAT ideas coming in from young people about how to improve sex ed for the future. Watch the entries to our Fresh Focus Sex Ed Digital Video Contest today! Make a resolution - to make sex ed comprehensive, non-judgemental, and FUN for 2008! We need your help. Make a video for the contest, or come to our conference, or donate your $$ at www.isis-inc.org.
OK! You have until January 7th to book your room at the JW Marriott. Conference attendees must reserve their room by January 7th to get the gov't rate. The JW Marriott is a few blocks from INGI, the site of the conference and overlooks Union Square. Enjoy the opulence and luxury at the Sex::Tech subsidized rate ($140/night)! Don’t miss the opportunity to stay at this newly remodeled San Francisco icon of class and history. Call 1-800-228-9290 and mention the Sex::Tech Conference. See you there!
The blogosphere is a strange, vast place, full of alluring links and flashy text promising to bring you and your search inquiry together. Well we’re sparing you all the searching and linking you to some of our Sex::Tech Conference blog partners and promoters.
Amy Andre has been nice enough to feature the Sex::Tech Conference in her blog, along with her intellectual critiques of art, media, sexuality, LGBTQ and race issues. Her pieces have appeared in publications like Curve and American Sexuality Magazine.
Stay tuned for more. It's coming.